Even at her sickest, Juana Hernandez believed in helping her family and community. With her donor's kidney, she has much more energy to continue serving those around her.
Religion and Organ Donation
Most religions support organ, eye, and tissue donation as an act of charity and goodwill.
Highlights on religious perspectives
- “Organ donation is a testimony of love for our neighbor.” - Pope Francis
- If you save one life, it is as though you save the world. —The Talmud
- Organ donation is in keeping with Hindu beliefs as it can help to save the life of others Late Mr. Om Parkash Sharma MBE President, National Council of Hindu Temples
- Giving is the greatest of Buddhist virtues. The Buddha, in a previous life, gave his body to a starving tigress who could not feed her cubs. There are many such Jataka tales some in which he even gave his eyes to someone who wanted them. What loss do I suffer to give an unwanted organ after my death to give another person life? - Dr. Desmond Biddulph, Chairman of The Buddhist Society
How you can get involved
- Talk to your faith leader about including organ, eye, and tissue donations in their sermon.
- Interested in having Donate Life Northwest give a presentation at your place of worship? Email us at email@example.com, and we can work with you to make that happen!
- Request materials free materials to share with your faith community. We have a variety of free materials, including printed brochures, for example, sermons for faith leaders, JPEG images for newsletters and e-communications, registration forms, Facebook banners, and more. We would be more than happy to provide you with any educational materials that you might need. To request materials, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
- Faith and Donation Brochure English: theological beliefs about donation.
- Faith and Donation Brochure Spanish
- Faith and Donation Poster
- Infographic Handout with Facts & FAQs English Pdf
- Infographic Handout with Facts & FAQs Spanish Pdf
- Resource Guide for Faith Leaders
- Donate Life America Resources
Thank you for supporting our mission! If you have more questions about this event or how to involve your place of worship, please email/call Donate Life Northwest at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 494-7888.
Are you interested in getting materials to your place of worship? Request free materials using this form. A Donate Life Northwest staff member will contact you to let you know your materials are on their way. Please note: The quantity of materials is based on event type and event attendance; all are subject to availability.