Donate Life Northwest works to provide Oregon's Hispanic/Latino population (Hispanics constituted 18.3% of the nation's total population) with education and access to resources around donation and transplant. The Done Vida Noroeste program works with Spanish-speaking Latino volunteers and community health organizations to provide bilingual and culturally specific education about donor registration, access to transplant, and opportunities to honor the generosity of donor families and the gratitude of recipients.
The U.S. Office of Minority Health reports that nationally:
- Hispanic Americans are three times more likely than white Americans to suffer from conditions leading to organ, and especially kidney failure, due to higher rates of obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease.
- In 2012, 15% percent of Hispanic Americans waiting for a transplant received one. Comparatively, 27% of White Americans on the waiting list received an organ transplant.
- In 2012, only 13.1% of organ donors were of Hispanic American descent. This reflects a lower rate of consent for organ donation among this population.
All population data is from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Educational Resources in Spanish
- General info videos in Spanish: Una Nacion que Dona and Donación y trasplante de órganos: ¿En qué consiste?
- This website is available in Spanish
- Request brochures and registration forms in Spanish
- Presentation available by request
- Visit the Educational Resources page; nearly all toolkits contain Spanish language talking points and graphics.
Bilingual volunteers are critical to helping us educate the community about this important health crisis. Done Vida volunteers organize and/or attend events, speak to the community or school groups, and share their stories through our various public education projects. For more information, please contact Maria.
We invite members of the public to use our PowerPoint and request a supplemental kit of Spanish language brochures and registration forms. Contact us about the availability of Spanish speaking presenters.
College students/recent graduates who are native speakers of Spanish are encouraged to contact us about a summer/fall Done Vida internship. Interns will gain a variety of non-profit experience in database, marketing, event planning, strategic planning, public speaking, and translation. For more information, please contact email@example.com
- Watch more videos on our Done Vida Youtube channel for Spanish language public service announcements and testimonials.
Stories of Hope
If your life has been touched by donation or transplantation, we invite you to share your story and inspire others.